1) What's the best part of cosplay for you?
For me I think the best part is being able to make costumes I can be proud of, and then getting to go out and show them off while spending time with like minded people. I have met so many amazing people at conventions ^^
2) Do you use the term "kameko" ("camera-kid")?
I have heard it only once before... so no, no I do not use it.
3) Do you read event catalogs?
Im not sure I know what that is, so Im going to say no I dont.
4) Do you rsvp to events?
Very rarely. I tend to hope I can get to a lot of events, but there are only ever really two I know for sure I can get to.
5) Do you want to attend more events? Or are you content to remain in your local area?
I would like to, but the thing is there just so much going on all the time. And as much as I do love cosplay, it is a hobby. Hopefully one day when I dont need to work so much Ill be able to start branching out to more conventions outside of my area.
6) Do you use color contacts?
Always! I have the darkest dark brown eyes naturally, which dont really work for a whole lot of characters. Also I am a perfectionist, and I think contacts give your cosplays that little something extra ^
7) Do you make your own costumes or do you buy them?
I have always, and will always make my own. I have nothing against people who dont, but for me thats the whole fun of cosplay. I always try to make absolutely every part of my costumes. Props, wigs, clothing anything I can!
8) Do you stick to one genre?
No, I tend to drift all over the place XD
9) Do you think that when cosplaying, one should stick to the genre of a given event?
Umm I think its a good idea, but I know most conventions allow a little leeway. I mean if Im at an anime convention and I see and amazing comic book cosplay, Im not going to think any less of it because they arent at a comic book convention.
10) Does it bother you when people break genre?
No, its a hobby. Have fun with it!
11) Does it bother you when people know nothing about the series they're cosplaying?
Not really. Im a little guilty of that myself my future plans include characters I dont really know. I pick a lot of characters I really like, but sometimes I pick character just because they have a really really good look to them! I tend to always do a bit of research on them though, just so I dont look completely wrong for pictures and things ^^
12) Does it bother you if people only know a little about the series they're cosplaying?
I seem to agree with Stargazer.. this seems to be the same question as above....
13) Does it bother you if people are familiar with the series, but have no affection for the character they're cosplaying?
Ummm I think this is sort of a trick question.. Cause they must at least slightly like the character, otherwise why would they be cosplaying as them? I suppose if they just liked the costume and not the character themselves that doesnt really bother me... So long as they dont bash anyone who comes up and says they like the character.
14) Does it bother you if someone else is cosplaying the same character you are?
Not at all! I always love to see how other people attempt the same things I do! People always go about things in different ways and you never know, you may learn something from that person who made the same costume as you! Also, clearly you have something in common with that person, so why should it bother you?
15) Do you like posed shots?
Oh god yes! Non posed pictures are just.... Bad! Always always bad! So very very very bad! Now that being said your pose doesnt have to be anything insanely epic, just something!
16) Do you like candid shots?
In most cases absolutely not! I hate when people take my picture without my permission. And actually if I notice someone doing it, I tend to turn away. There is only one exception to this rule, and that is that you are someone I know quite well. Good friends can get away with candid shots, but thats pretty much it!
17) Do you think cosplaying characters from adult games or pornographic material is in bad taste?
Another trick question! There is a place for everything. I would say if its not an overly revealing costume, by all means go nuts, if people recognise you thats fine, but people who havent seen it will be unaware that its anything out of the ordinary. If it is an overly sexual costume, keep it to conventions with an older demographic.
18) If there's a problem at an event, do you jump to conclusions about the parties involved?
Umm well if it doesnt concern me at all. I dont bother even thinking about it. If it does concern me, I would hope I know whats actually going on. If not I would try to keep an open mind and figure out what happened. Much like I would deal with problems in the real world!
19) How many times do you cosplay in one month?
In one month? It depends on the month! Sometimes I dont cosplay in a month, sometimes I cosplay several times in a month! Do you actually want me to do the math and average it out?
20) Do you go to photo shoots?
I do like to schedule photo shoots! I love love to have nice photos of what Ive worked on. I have never been to a large group photo shoot though.. Im not sure if I will start.. Im not all that good with time management at conventions.
21) Have you ever been included in a cosplay CD-ROM?
I have no idea what that is.. So I don`t think so.. but maybe?
22) Is casual cosplay okay?
Do you mean casual cosplays.. Or like cosplaying in everyday life? Cause I mean casual costumes are great! I actually tend to make one for every con I go to, its always nice to have a day to. However cosplaying casually outside of a con I think may be a little odd... I mean using pieces of cosplays you like as regular clothing or dressing uniquely is fine. But I think if you just spent every day dressed as an actual character that may be a little odd.
23) Are you okay with your face appearing on the internet?
Sort of.. I got used to it. After my first convention I wouldnt let anyone I know post any pictures of me.. But then other people started posting them, and I realised the beast was too big to be stopped. So now I figure I may as well just go with the flow. Its very rare that Ive ever had anyone recognise me outside of cosplay ^^
24) Do you find yourself thinking people are "too old" for cosplay? How old is too old?
I dont think you can ever be too old for cosplay! I have no plans on stopping cosplaying anytime soon!
25) Do people who walk around in gothic lolita fashion bug you?
Nope not at all.. that is unless they have a holier than thou attitude while doing so.
26) Do you think Chinese dresses count as "cosplay"?
In theory, no, no I do not. However I think they can be used as part of a cosplay (as in if its more than just a Chinese dress)
27) What bothers you the most about cosplay?
Well. For myself, my poor time management skills. I am so so very bad for making costumes the night before a conventions, or while Im at the convention sewing in the hotel room. As for the convention itself, where there are tons of people in any given place there are bound to be problems. I dont deal well with high school style drama.. And cosplay seems to bring that kind of behaviour out of a lot of people.
28) Do you think it's important to be "in character"?
Yes and no. I think for pictures its a very very good idea. I mean you want to look like the character! As for wandering around the convention, I dont think its that important, though there us nothing wrong with it XD
29) Does it make you nervous to be eyed by regular visitors at a public event?
That depends on what you mean by eyed. Are we talking Wow shes cute:! eyed.. if so not really.. If were talking Wow whats wrong with her? that also doesnt really bother me all that much. Now if we are talking Hey she looks like she might have some healthy organs I can harvest! Now that that would creep me right out.
30) Do pre-scheduled cosplay appearances by popular cosplayers annoy you?
Ummm not really. I never tend to pay attention to that kind of thing. So it doesnt annoy me, Im just indifferent to it.
31) Do you tell other people your best locations for shoots?
Of course I do! If anyone ever asks Im more than happy to tell them! And if I ever hear people discussing locations Im always willing to toss some ideas in ^^
32) Do you put on your makeup before your wig or after?
Always before, when my real hair is pulled back in a wig cap and out of my face. I tend to do touch ups throughout the day though, and ALWAYS right before photos.
33) Do you know a lot about the series' you cosplay?
Currently, yes. Though I will admit the are a couple costumes I would like to do in the future that are from series I dont know a whole lot about.
34) Do you wear costumes only once or many times?
I wear my costumes until I no longer think they are good enough to wear. For some costumes that is only once, for other costumes its many many many times.. So it really differs from costume to costume.
35) When you've decided what costume to do next, do you share that information with other people?
Usually. There are a couple costume ideas I keep to myself. But I always tend to tell a couple people (Paper-stars always <3) because its always nice to find out if they wish to make a costume that goes with yours! (Yay group for MTAC!!)
36) Do you want to be in cosplay magazines?
That would be amazing! Ive actually been in cosmode, al be it that was a tiny tiny almost nonexistent picture.
37) What's the most important part of cosplay for you?
Being able to do something I love, spend time with my friends (and meet new friends) and be able to share my hobby with liked minded people.
--Event Participation Questions--
38) How active are you cosplaying in your own community?
I think Im fairly active. I try to make it out to as many conventions a year as I can. Also I am the founder of
here on DA. We work to raise awareness of cosplay around the world and help inform people of upcoming events .
39) What do you wear on the day of an event?
What ever costume it was I planned to wear. Normally I make at least one new costume per event.
40) Do you eat lunch on event days?
I always try to... But it doesnt always pan out that way.
41) Do you eat breakfast before attending events?
Not usually... I dont really ever eat breakfast.. So conventions are no different from any other day in that sense.
42) How long does it take you to change?
It really all depends on the costume. Sometimes I can get dressed in a matter of minutes (for things like my Selphie and Princess Jupiter) but then there are the outfits like my Lulu and Cortana. Those type of costumes generally take over an hour to get into completely.
43) Do you think it looks geeky to attend an event with a big SLR camera?
Of course not! Great cameras generally take great pictures! I myself own a digital SLR.. Though I have to admit I always forget to bring it to cons, or I end up passing it off to a friend because I dont have the time to actually take pictures.
44) What camera do you use? A compact? An SLR?
hmmmm well I answered this in the last question.. I have a digital SLR. Though I would like to also get a little point and shoot compact.. Just so I can hide it a little better for pictures. Its really hard to be in costume and pose for pictures while you are travelling around with a giant camera.
45) Are you afraid of cameramen? Are you cool with them?
As long as they ask for pictures and dont creep about taking them I am completely fine with them! Actually I have quite a few cameramen friends
46) Are you one of the first to line up to get inside?
I do not do lines... I preregister for every convention I can. And if there are huge lines to do things I generally tend to wait and go in after the lines have died down if I can.
47) Do you not mind showing up late?
I dont really like being late.. But Im always so busy the day before cons that I am generally late. Most cons I arrive on the Friday but dont actually start doing many con things till the Saturday.
48) Do you have a small after party or a huge get-together?
There is almost always a post con dinner with a few good friends after the convention. Its sort of become a tradition and I have to say it is actually one of my favourite parts of going to conventions.
49) Do you like karaoke?
I think so! Ive never really been.
50) Are you tolerant of bad singers?
I do try to be. I am very good with bad singers who are being brave and trying something new.. But Im not all that great with bad singers who think they are amazing and act accordingly.
51) Do topics unrelated to animation and manga bug you? Or do you think it's okay to talk about anything at all?
At conventions or in general? In either case no they dont bug me.. there are far far far more things out there than just animation and manga.
52) Do you eat lunch while inside event areas?
I tend not to buy food in conventions.. cause it always really really expensive.. But I do try to eat.
53) Can you handle the cold?
I am good with really really cold weather. But Im not all that great with slightly cold weather.. thats when I tend to feel the coldest. I love winter though (Im a true Canadian girl)
54) Do you buy doujinshi at events?
I actually had to google that term :S so no no I do not.
55) Do you make doujinshi to sell at events?
Cant say I ever have.
56) Do you have a group that participates in group events?
More often than not!
57) Are you a member of a cosplay circle/club?
I am a member of my online club (though I dont think thats really what this costume is referring too) and I have a few friends I quite often do costumes with.. But Im not sure I would go so far as to say Im a member of a circle or club.
58) When the event is over, how late do you stay out?
As mentioned in a previous question I almost always do a post con dinner. The time those take tends to vary, but Im never in a huge rush to get home.
59) If a new face approaches you at an event and takes up a few minutes of your time, are you annoyed?
Never! Its always super nice to talk to new people! Unless Im in a real rush to get somewhere I will always be happy to chat
60) Do you go to cosplay dance parties?
Never have.. and Im not sure if I ever will.
61) Do you think your Layer status is higher than others is a lot of people want to take your picture? Does it bother you?
Im not really sure I understand this question.. Im always happy to let people take my picture.. And if the question is do I think more people want my picture or Im more popular.. I dont know? Ive never really thought about it. Probably not..
62) Do you get jealous of other cosplayers having a lot of pictures taken of them?
No, people get pictures taken for a lot of different reasons. I`m just happy cosplay is getting attention, regardless of who it is who`s actually getting the attention ^^
63) You're asked for a picture but have something else to do, do you refuse?
Most of the time I will stop and let someone take a picture.. Unless Im really running late for something (usually the green room for a masquerade or a photo shoot) and then I may have to politely refuse. But I always tell people to stop me again if they see me!
64) When you take pictures of people at events, do you give them all copies of the prints?
I try to post pictures where people can find them. Like in the events pages of facebook and cosplay.com. But I seldom take peoples contact info to send them the pictures. If they ask I am always more than happy to though!
--Photo Shoot Questions--
65) (at a studio) Do you give a copy of each photo to all of the participants?
All of the photographers I work with either send me the photos or post them on their websites. I always try to inform anyone in the pictures who may not have been notified yet ^^
66) How do you approach photo shoots? As a chance to gather with friends and goof off or as a meeting to take nice pictures?
I tend not to do large group shoots, so I only ever really have the tiny private shoots, in which case I treat it as a meeting to take nice pictures. That doesnt mean we dont have fun with it.. but it does mean that we arent completely goofing off.. I mean the reason we gather is to get nice pictures!
67) Are you particular about how you look in the test shots before the shoot? Do you mind how you look in general?
I almost always check to see how fabrics photograph.. certain fabrics can look like complete garbage in pictures. Also I always try to do a bit of a makeup test before the con or photoshoot. I always like to look my best for cosplays!
68) When you take photos, do you prefer shots from the front or other angles?
I always like to have shots that show off the costume.. but other than that Im really open for almost anything the photographer can come up with (within reason of course
69) Are you bothered by receiving lots of photos? Are you happy?
Im always happy when people appreciate my costume enough to want to take my picture! It can be a little overwhelming at times, but its always enjoyable ^^
70) When you take photos, do you photograph only people you know personally and like? Or do you look for other people with great costumes to photograph too?
I do both! I tend to take a lot of pictures of my friends.. But not really costume posed shots.. just general hanging out with friends shots. However I also love to get shots of great cosplayers and characters I love whenever I pass someone who catches my eye!
71) Do you wander around to meet people at events or do you keep to your own group?
Im inclined to say I stick with my group. But I always seem to meet new people, and actually my group I met at various cons... So I think I do a little of both! I always seem to meet someone new at almost every con that I keep in touch with outside of the convention.
72) How many photos do you usually take with your own camera?
Sadly not that many. I took a lot my first convention, and now every convention I go to it seems to be less and less, whenever I dont forget my camera I tend to pass it off to a friend so they can take photos for me. For some reason I always tend to be busy at conventions.
73) How many photos do you usually take for others?
74) Do you mind if people resize or crop the pictures you've taken to make them look better?
Not at all!
75) Do you crop and resize pictures others have taken for you?
It depends on the pictures.. Usually not because most of my photos are private photo shoot photos the photographers have already sorted through.. But just around the convention shots I tend to mess with a little if I plan on posting them somewhere.
76) Have you ever set up a photo shoot by yourself?
Private shoots yes ^^As Ive mentioned a few times before I havent done any large group shoots.
77) Do you check shoot information beforehand?
Of course.. But as started those are generally private shoots... So I really should know where the photographer and I are meeting XD However that being said a lot of my private shoots were set up by running into the photographer deciding right then that wed do pictures and then wandering off to find a photo shoot location.
78) Do you like it when there are a lot of people in the shoot area? Or do you prefer small events?
I am not ever really comfortable with large groups, so small events are right up my alley.
79) What size (how many people) is the best for a shoot?
Most of the shoots Ive done are just me. Unless I am part of a group cosplay (like the Deathbusters)
80) What time of day do you like to take photos?
Any time that works
81) Do you prefer indoor or outdoor shots?
82) Which do you dislike more - hot weather or cold weather?
I would rather be cold than hot.
83) Do you know any cameramen?
84) Do you eat in the photo area?
Why would you eat in the photo area?
85) Do you like taking parts-shots? Or do you dislike them?
I am not sure what a parts-shot is. If its a progress shot, not usually. If its a shot of a piece of the costume.. it depends.. If its something inappropriate. No... If its not any of the above.. Maybe?
86) Do you retouch your photos?
87) Are you annoyed by people who don't retouch their photos?
Not at all... That seems like an odd thing to have bug you. Although I will say people who insanely over retouch their photos sometimes bug me.. You should never have to alter what your body actually looks like! Im sure you are beautiful as you are!! BE PROUD OF IT!
88) Do you use reflectors?
I have had reflectors used on me. But I do not own a reflector so I have never used a reflector when taking pictures of someone else.
89) Which is worse ~ breaking the rules and getting great pictures, or following them and getting poor ones?
It depends on what kind of rules we are talking about here.... However if no one gets hurt and its not stupidly dangerous, Im fine with bending the rules a little to get great photo ~,^
---Friend Questions-- Too long...
90) Why are your friends your friends?
Because I like them. They're interesting, they entertain me, I care for them, they care about me? You know friends things.
91) If you hang out for one day, do you consider yourselves friends?
92) Do you give copies of your photos to others?
93) Do you want to make more friends?
94) Do you at least remember the names of people you meet at events?
Generally, or usernames or the character they were ^^"
95) Do you find yourself adjusting your behavior to that of the character you're cosplaying when dealing with people dressed as characters your character knows?
96) Do you receive permission every time you post a photo of someone else online?
I tend not to post pictures of other people online..
97) Do you get angry if a foreign site links to your page? Or are you flattered?
I think it always nice, provided they give credit... and arent bashing me or anything.
98) Are you happy to get mail from Layers overseas or does it scare you?
There seem to be a lot of confusing question in this survey thingy.. Is a Layer a cosplayer? If so its nice to hear from them... But if thats not what you are talking about I have no clue....
99) Do you try to increase your web site? Or doesn't it matter to you?
I expand my website a little every time I have a new costume or anything important to add!
100) Do you not particularly care who links to you? Or do you ask people not to link without permission?
Linking to me doesnt bother me.. Stealing my images and not giving credit however does bug me.
101) Do you credit the location or studio when posting photo shoot images?
I always always always give the photographer credit.. but as for location, Ive never really done photos anywhere other than a con.. So I dont usually credit location.
---Final Question--- (finally)
What do you think people who have "good cosplay manners" are like?
The same as people who have good manners in general. Polite, kind and courteous people.
Right I need to tag people.
Im not tagging anyone in particular.. If youd like to do it, do it!